Carrots are of the most consumed and readily available vegetables around. What’s more, they’re healthy and inexpensive. Loaded with vitamin A, carrots come in a wider variety than most realize. Along with orange, you can also find purple, yellow, white and red carrots in specialty produce departments. While your body does a decent job absorbing fat-soluble vitamin A (which is abundant is carrots), it needs a little extra (added) fat to absorb the vitamin K, which is also readily available in carrots. Pair carrots with a handful or nut or some homemade hummus to absorb all the great nutrient qualities.
One cup of carrots is a mere 50 calories. Sure, carrots have gotten a bad wrap as being a “starchy” vegetable, but you’d have to eat a hefty amount of carrots to throw off your blood sugar levels.
Here are a few ways carrots have been shown to benefit our bodies:
- Heart Guardian: The antioxidants in carrots have been shown to fight off cardiovascular disease. Our bodies are constantly exposed to cardiovascular stressors, and eating a diet rich in antioxidants is great way to protect our heart.
- Sight Saver: The antioxidants in carrots protect our heart, and the phytonutrients in carrots protect our eyes from night blindness. Night blindness can result from macular degeneration leading to cataracts. Beta-carotene helps helps protect our eyes from this.
- Fiber Friendly: Weighing in at about 7 grams of fiber per cup, carrots are an easy vegetable to enjoy while giving our digestion a boost as well.
Savory Ginger-Roasted Carrots
|Prep time||10 minutes|
|Cook time||35 minutes|
|Total time||45 minutes|
- 5 medium to large, halved and sliced length-wise Carrots
- 1/2 tsp. grated Ginger
- 2 Cloves, minced Garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Orange Zest
- 1 tbsp. Orange Juice
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
|Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel and halve carrots, then cut length-wise, sliced semi-julienne style. In a medium bowl, mix together ginger, garlic, orange zest, orange juice, ground pepper and olive oil. Add carrots, thoroughly coating them. Spread evenly over a baking sheet, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, add sea salt, toss and serve.|